Well, I can create a special "Tomcat Service" account, and then be careful what groups I add it to, and make sure the Tomcat directory is accessible to it. I'll also find the How To for running Tomcat as an NT service again to see if they address this. And this isn't a corporation, this is just for my own personal use (though that's still not an excuse not to secure my own box!)

Regarding Tagish JAAS, this is the home page:

   http://free.tagish.net/jaas/index.jsp

It's a bit out of support. I found it through Chris Maeda's article on TheServerSide.com:

   http://www.theserverside.com/blogs/printfriendly.tss?id=ServletApp

On Chris Maeda's Blog, there were plenty of feedback comments.

   http://www.cmaeda.com/index.php?p=22

A lot of folks couldn't get it to work with Tomcat outside of form-based authentication. I wanted to use normal authentication where the browser just prompts you and was havign Tomcat's JVM die without a record of the cause! Eventually with some debug tracing and looking at source code, I determined that the Win32 API call being used didn't like null (which are the default credentials returned by Tomcat's JAAS module when there is no authenticated user). So, I modified the Tagish JAAS source code to simply through an authentication-related exception when null was sent to it.

So, now, Tagish JAAS is using XP for authentication!

Regards,
Brian.

Jason Bainbridge wrote:

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 20:38:31 -0500, Brian J. Sayatovic