From: Peter Crowther [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2005 2:55 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Multiple tomcat instances

> From: Kelly, Steve [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Is it possible to run multiple instances of tomcat on the same server,
> for example to support production and test environments ?

Yes.  I run up to four on this machine - two (one 4.1, one 5.0) are
running as I type this.

Here's a Windows script that works (give or take the HOME path) for
Tomcat 4 and 5.0 - untested on 5.5, but I can't see why it should fail.
The UNIX equivalent is pretty obvious.  Check out CATALINA_HOME - where
Tomcat is installed - versus CATALINA_BASE - where this instance stores
its files.  Note the JAVA_OPTS for increased stack and heap sizes, too;
this line is optional.

C:\cattery is where I store the data for the four instances.

-- snip --
set CATALINA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1
set CATALINA_BASE=c:\cattery\instance1
set JAVA_OPTS=-Xms64m -Xmx256m
cd %CATALINA_HOME%\bin
startup
-- snip --

Under CATALINA_BASE for each instance, you'll need conf, logs, temp,
webapps, and work directories.  The easiest way to create these is to
copy them from CATALINA_HOME.  You'll then need to modify
conf/server.xml to make sure each instance is running on its own ports -
don't forget to change the shutdown port!

Good luck, yell if you have any problems getting this to work.

                - Peter