To execute a tag file requires creating some new objects which migh have an overhead not quite comparable to RequestDispatcher.include()

Thats probably the issue.

-Tim

Kevin Burton wrote:
Tim Funk wrote:

Its not reflection killing you. For example, time this:

<%=System.currentTimeMillis()%>
<c:forEach begin='0' end='${param.iterations}'>
  ${more.cowbell}
</c:forEach>
<%=System.currentTimeMillis()%>

Where more is any java object and cowbell is a property (getCowbell()). In simple timing trials - even where iterations is greater than 2000 - I get subsecond response time.

I think something else is going on here then. I actually rewrote the above code to use a custom tag which I KNOW is slow in our system and even with 10000 entries its very fast.

Though when I took our production code and converted it from .tag files to jspfs it was 100x faster.
So the issue is what has changed between the two code bases to make it THAT much faster.

Its got to be some caching system or so forth. Maybe Tomcat can only cache so many methods and is recreating them.
So its clearly not JUST reflected methods its something else on top of it....

Any other ideas?

Kevin