Hello Group,

First time user.

I am using Tomcat 4.1.30 to serve (among other things) plain text files with
.dat and .las extensions. I have added the following lines to the
conf/web.xml file:

    <mime-mapping>
        <extension>las</extension>
        <mime-type>text/plain</mime-type>
    </mime-mapping>
    <mime-mapping>
        <extension>dat</extension>
        <mime-type>text/plain</mime-type>
    </mime-mapping>

And they display properly in Netscape or Firefox. When trying to view in IE,
however it doesn't recognize the file type and prompts the user to open or
save. If the user selects open whatever text editor IE chooses can't find
the file. Save works properly. Does IE's mime-sniffer completely ignore my
server settings? Is there a workaround for this (without having to change
all of my files and links to .txt)?

Thanks in advance.

-Tim