that is some really odd behavior coming from Tomcat. I've probably run
over 1K benchmarks on Tomcat over the last 3 years and I've yet to see
that kind of behavior. Here are some random ideas to try, which I've
used in the past. They may not help, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to
suggest them.

use jmeter to send 250 requests with 25 threads against the index page.

then view the status in tomcat 5.5.4. Over time, you should see the
number of threads drop to the minimum. Under normal conditions, tomcat
will create enough threads to service those threads. after a few
minutes, the thread count should drop. If it doesn't, it means
something is keeping the connection open. if you see that, it is most
likley an application bug. Another idea is to do netstat and see what
the status of the connections are.  It might be some of the
connections are not closing.

peter