I also have a problem with JkMountFile and apache 1.3 on Linux.

The problem is the same if I use Virtual Hosts or not : the workers don't work.
If I use JkMount : it works.

For more details :
In my config with Virtual Hosts (and JkMountFile), I have :
in /etc/apache/httpd.conf :
Include /usr2/web/VirtualHosts/myVhost1
Include /usr2/web/etc/mod_jk.conf

in /usr2/web/VirtualHosts/myVhost1 :
<VirtualHost myHost>
  ServerName myVhost1
#this works :
#  JkMount /testServlet/* ajp13

#this doesn't work :
#JkMountFile /usr2/web/VirtualHosts/testServlet.properties
JkMountFile /usr2/web/etc/testServlet.properties
</VirtualHost>

in /usr2/web/etc/testServlet.properties :
/testServlet/*.jgi=ajp13

in /usr2/web/etc/mod_jk.conf :
JkWorkersFile   /usr2/web/etc/workers.properties
JkMountCopy On

JkShmFile /usr2/web/logs/mod_jk.shm
<Location /jkstatus >
        JkMount status
        Order deny,allow
        Deny from all
        Allow from 127.0.0.1
</Location>

in /usr2/web/etc/workers.properties :
workers.tomcat_home=/usr/local/jonas
workers.java_home=/usr/local/jdk_home
ps=/

worker.list=ajp13,status

worker.status.type=status

worker.ajp13.type=ajp13
worker.ajp13.host=myHost
worker.ajp13.port=8009
worker.ajp13.lbfactor=1

When I restart apache, it's OK (so the JkMountFile is found),
But when I want to get http://myVhost1/testServlet/myServlet ==> 404
[Wed Apr 20 18:03:47 2005] [2940:0000] [debug]
map_uri_to_worker::jk_uri_worker_map.c (455): Attempting to map URI
'/testServlet/myServlet' from 0 maps