Thanks everyone!

I really appreciate all your ideas and input and experience!

I still am not completely clear on eden, gen, etc - obviously I need to go research how memory allocation is done in java.

But, after setting the maxPermSize, I was able to log in and do work on >18 sites which is more than I could do before :)
We will be scheduling some load testing next week to see if 128 is the right number for our real life problem, but at least I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now!

thank you all again for all your help!