try:
         <web-resource-collection>
               <web-resource-name>Admin</web-resource-name>
               <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
          </web-resource-collection>

You don't need to include the context in your url patterns.

Mark

teknokrat wrote:
I have placed the following context file

<Context path="/myAdmin"
cachingAllowed="false"
cacheTTL="0"
cacheMaxSize="0"
swallowOutput="false"

<Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.UserDatabaseRealm" debug="5"/>
</Context>

and i have added to web.xml

<security-constraint>
<web-resource-collection>
<web-resource-name>Admin</web-resource-name>
<url-pattern>/myAdmin/*</url-pattern>
</web-resource-collection>
<auth-constraint>
<role-name>me</role-name>
</auth-constraint>
</security-constraint>
<login-config>
<auth-method>BASIC</auth-method>
<realm-name>Admin</realm-name>
</login-config>
<security-role>
<description>The role</description>
<role-name>me</role-name>
</security-role>

Yet, I can still access the webapp without tomcat asking for a username and password. I have added the role and users to tomcat-users.xml too.

thanks