I am running Tomcat 5 on XP and after deploying a new war file, which worked, and was the only change I made, the next time I rebooted the machine (after all it is XP) this is what I get:

156593 INFO  [main] core.StandardHostDeployer - Processing Context configuration file URL file:C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.0\conf\Catalina\localhost\balancer.xml

157015 ERROR [main] modeler.Registry - Null component Catalina:type=JspMonitor,WebModule=//localhost/balancer,J2EEApplication=none,J2EEServer=none

157031 ERROR [main] digester.Digester - End event threw exception

      at org.apache.commons.beanutils.MethodUtils.invokeMethod(MethodUtils.java:252)

      at org.apache.commons.digester.SetNextRule.end(SetNextRule.java:208)

            .

            .

            .

at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:425)

Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.log4j.Category.log(Ljava/lang/String;Lorg/apache/log4j/Level;Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Throwable;)V

      at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JCategoryLog.debug(Log4JCategoryLog.java:94)

      at org.apache.catalina.session.ManagerBase.init(ManagerBase.java:633)

      at org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager.start(StandardManager.java:639)

and further down…

158062 INFO  [main] core.StandardHostDeployer - Processing Context configuration file URL file:C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.0\conf\Catalina\localhost\manager.xml

158062 INFO  [main] core.StandardHostDeployer - Processing Context configuration file URL file:C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.0\conf\Catalina\localhost\manager.xml

158375 ERROR [main] modeler.Registry - Null component Catalina:type=JspMonitor,WebModule=//localhost/manager,J2EEApplication=none,J2EEServer=none

158375 ERROR [main] digester.Digester - End event threw exception

            .

            .

            .

            at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:425)

Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.log4j.Category.log(Ljava/lang/String;Lorg/apache/log4j/Level;Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Throwable;)V

      at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JCategoryLog.debug(Log4JCategoryLog.java:94)

      at org.apache.catalina.session.ManagerBase.init(ManagerBase.java:633)

      at org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager.start(StandardManager.java:639)

Is this an issue with the version of log4j.jar or a class loader issue or is there a corrupt jar I should replace?

Loosely Coupled

Mike Oliver
CTO

Alarius Systems LLC