I think that would be the direction I would take.

If you need more proof:

Sniff the connection to the server to confirm the lack of available connections. So far it is pointing in that direction.

Another test you might do is create a connection from a known IP, close the browser and monitor the connection status. If it is hanging open then start digging.

I think you may also be experiencing an issue of clickatosis. It occurs when the client doesn't think the page is responding quick enough and since more is better after 10 or 20 clicks they decide to wait or give up. Mean while for each click they cause a request which can bog things down. Wrapping this with the held connections you can get a scenario as such:

Client hits site.
No or slow response.
Clicks again. Or several times.
Often closes browser and tries over.
This creates a new connection request.
Snowballs from there.

Think about this, do you really get over a 100k users in six hours? Or even 100k page requests? That's a lot of traffic. If the client machines abandons the connection before the server, then establishes a new one, it compound the problem.

Find a way to have the OS let Apache handle the connection timeout and get it down to a reasonable time.

Since you are inheriting this, there may be a reason that the connection timeout is set so high. If the original creator of this wanted the user to be able to sit on a page for a long time without losing the session and connection thus causing the user to have to re-authenticate. But then there is a trade off. which you are experiencing right now.

Get the time down until the complaint about having to re-login get too high or until the connection speed delay is acceptable.

Just my $0.015

Doug
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeffrey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>