From: Lutz Zetzsche [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 2:01 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Setting an environment variable in tomcat 5.5 service?

Hi Mufaddal,

Am Dienstag, 10. Mai 2005 21:33 schrieb Mufaddal Khumri:
> I have Tomcat 5.5 running as a service on Windows XP. Where in Tomcat
> can I set an environment variable?
>
> I can set an environment variable by going to Control Panel -> System
> -> Advanced -> Environment variables, but I want to do it in
> Catalina.sh or equivalent.
>
> In my Tomcat/bin folder I have got: bootstrap.jar,
> commons-logging-api.jar, tomcat5.exe, tomcat5w.exe. I do not see a
> Catalina.sh or equivalent.

You have different options where to set environment variables. Choosing
the right place for your variable declaration depends on your
intention.

You can set environment variables here:

1.
In $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml,
using the Environment element nested inside the GlobalNamingResources
element:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/globalresources.h
tml

2.
In context files in different places, i.e.
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/context.xml or
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/[webappname].xml,
using the Environment element nested inside the Context element:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/context.html#Envi
ronment%20Entries

3.
In $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/[webappname]/WEB-INF/web.xml, like
demonstrated here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/context.html#Envi
ronment%20Entries

Best wishes

Lutz

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this
email in error please notify the system manager. Please
note that any views or opinions presented in this email
are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of the company. Finally, the recipient
should check this email and any attachments for the
presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for
Consult your physician prior to the use of any medical
supplies or product.