Will adding
   JAVA_OPTS=-Xmx128M
to catalina.sh help with running out of memory during JSP compilation in
4.1?

The notes in catalina.sh say that these options will be used when the
"start" "stop" or "run" command is executed, but from the Jasper config
page, I see that Tomcat will 'fork' another JVM in order to compile JSPs.
Does this new JVM "inherit" the memory settings of the original, or is there
some other way to increase its memory?

I'm reading here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jasper-howto.html#Configuration
and another mailing list thread about the same thing, though I can't tell if
it was ever resolved
   http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg144736.html

Yet AGAIN, something that works fine on my Windows development box is
failing when I move it to the production web server which is running HP-UX.

Thank you,
Wendy Smoak