If you can afford it, go with hardware load balancing. it's easier to
setup and configure. it's also more reliable and robust.  of course,
you have to open up your wallet and let the money fall out.

if you really want sophisticated load balancing that allows you to
schedule a server to go down, i would recomend Resonate. I've used
them in the past and their product is solid.

peter