Yes, I'm now going the HttpClient route - and yes, I also realized that the object to be launched doesn't have to be a servlet at all. I was just anchored in thinking along those lines since I thought that the servlet would be the one receiving its own response. Anyway, I think I'm on the right track now.

Many thanks to everyone who replied to my post - every input was very valuable.

Michael

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert r. Sanders" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 1:08 PM
Subject: Re: Can a servlet receive its own request?

I've done something a little similar w/ the HTTPClient. What I ended up w/ was a Object that was run in the Servlet container but was not itself a servlet. Nit-picking. Anyway, you can do this, you just have to use other libraries (like the Commons HTTPClient).

Michael Mehrle wrote:

Thanks for your elaborate reply - actually, someone else also suggested to use commons HTTPClient. I might have over-explained all this - the major difference is that the servlet is being launched by Quartz, not by an outside HTTP request. Thus, it is the servlet that needs to be able to receive the response to its own request, and it appears that HTTPClient might enable the servlet to do this.

Michael

-- Robert r. Sanders Chief Technologist iPOV (334) 821-5412 www.ipov.net