David Smith wrote:

I won't argue with no. 1 since I don't use SSL connectors in Tomcat. However, no. 2 can be mitigated with the commons-daemon project among
other tricks and IMHO, not a valid argument against having Tomcat out front.

Just my thoughts on the subject. :-)

I'll just add to the mix...

The way I see it, you will use Apache as a front end for other reasons. Some of them might be:

1. You already have a web site, into which you would like to plug-in your applications
2. You would like to use Apache's mod_rewrite
3. You would like to mix PHP, ASP, Perl or something else on your global site
4. You have a need for "exotic" authentication, like LDAP or Kerberos5/SPNEGO (read: MS Active Directory)
5. You have a need for any of those nifty modules of Apache
6. You would like to use dedicated servers for TC's application serving and load balance

Nix.