Not maybe of direct help unless you get really stuck, but my approach was to
use TCs sessions, but not its authentication framework.  My original
reasoning for this was that I wanted login details to be in a RDMS table
along with other data.  So I coded the login/logout process myself, which
was a little work to achieve, but gives me freedom to handle the sorts of
things you are talking about in a flexible way.

My way around the problem you describe is that when someone successfully
authenticates, I add their uid to the session object as a String in the
doGet() method:

        String uid = request.getParameter("form_uid_field");
        request.getSession(true).setAttribute(uid, null);

And because the uid is now accessible via the session object, when your
SessionListener catches the attributeAdded/Changed/Replaced events, they
pass a HttpSessionBindingEvent, from which you can call
.getSession().getAttribute("uid")