My guess is you are missing the tomcat 4 version of jasper-runtime.jar in your web-inf/lib dir.

If your precompile a webapp with tomcat 4 code(or I assume jetty uses jasper as its JSP engine). You need to supply jasper-runtime.jar with your webapp if you run it on a container running tomcat 5 (or not tomcat at all)

-Tim

Mike Baliel wrote:

Hi Bill,

Thanks again for your response. I believe (if I am not mistaken) that the method signature displayed in the error as "No Such Method" (i.e. the method expected based on the compiled JSP) is the same as the method you listed below.

Here is the error....

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspRuntimeLibrary.include(Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequest;Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletResponse;Ljava/lang/String;Ljavax/servlet/jsp/JspWriter;Z)V

Breaking down the signature it looks like this...
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.jasper.runtime.Jinclude(
     Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequest;  (ServletResponse request)
     Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletResponse; (ServletResponse response)
     Ljava/lang/String;                       (String relativePath)
     Ljavax/servlet/jsp/JspWriter;            (JspWriter out)
     Z                          (boolean flush)
    )

These two methods appear to be the same... Am I missing something?

Best,
Mike

Bill Barker wrote:

"Mike Baliel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks for replying Bill....

I have Tomcat 5.0 installed and I checked the jasper-runtime.jar located at Tomcat5.0\common\lib and in my copy the method exists... ?

Are you looking in jasper-compiler or jasper-runtime?

Admittedly, I'm looking at the 5.5 version (since I removed the 5.0 version here long ago :). However, I didn't think that there were such major changes in Jasper between 5.0 and 5.5 (and a quick check of the CVS log confirms it :). The signature in all recent versions of TC 5.x jasper-runtimes is:
    public static void include(ServletRequest request,
                               ServletResponse response,
                               String relativePath,
                               JspWriter out,
                               boolean flush)
        throws IOException, ServletException {

which is clearly different from your pre-compiled JSPs.

Bill Barker wrote:

I just checked, and there is indeed NoSuchMethod in Tomcat 5.

You need to re-precompile your JSPs using the jspc from Tomcat 5 for it to work. It's not enough to just move the class files over, since they reference the Jasper version that they were compiled with.