Well, it seems that the shared classes in shared\lib really are responsible
for this. I tried to move those in the WEB-INF\lib directories. There are a
couple of new problems to work out, nothing serious, but the problem with the
"shared" classes
vanished.

Thanks again for your assistance.

> did lose my mind in the maze of classloading several time.

I know what you mean :o)

Sascha