That's because it's hardcoded to look for jmx.jar. One jar, singular.
Sitting on my local dev machine I've got a jmx.jar which is a concatenation of mx4j.jar and mx4j-tools.jar. It's a bit horrible but it works.

There are other ways to do it:

1)
Add your jars to the bootstrap classpath by modifying setclasspath.bat (assuming you're using the scripts not the service to start and stop tc).

2)
According to the release notes you can also change the manifest file in the bootstrap.jar to point to your own jmx implementations.

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
(just above the "Tomcat 5.0 and XML Parsers" section)

HTH,

Jon

Jimmy Ray wrote:
I was ruinning 5.0.28 on Windows, but now it wont
start.  I get this message:

Due to new licensing guidelines mandated by the Apache
Software
Foundation Board of Directors, a JMX implementation
can no longer
be distributed with the Apache Tomcat binaries. As a
result, you
must download a JMX 1.2 implementation (such as the
Sun Reference
Implementation) and copy the JAR containing the API
and
implementation of the JMX specification to:
${catalina.home}/bin/jmx.jar

I have downlaoded the implementation and placed th
files in the correct bin directory, but I still get
this error.

Any one else tackled this issue.

Regards,

Jimmy Ray