If you add virtual hosts using the tomcat admin interface and hit the commit
button on top after all changes, you do not have to issue a bin/shutdown.sh
and a bin/startup.sh.
However, the catalina engine is restarted and so are all webapps in it.

--
David Delbecq
Royal Meteorological Institute of Belgium

-
Is there life after /sbin/halt -p?