Under high load, the loadbalancing seems to "forget" session affinity
and users have to log in again.

Apache 2.0.54 with mod_mpm
mod_jk 1.2.8
14 Tomcat 4.1.31 instances

The MaxClient setting seems to be causing most of these troubles. I
don't exactly understand how the mpm and Tomcat settings are supposed
to correlate. As soon as I increase MaxClients to 3200 the troubles
start.

mpm settings:

<IfModule worker.c>
StartServers         4
MaxClients        2944
MinSpareThreads     25
MaxSpareThreads    800
ThreadLimit         96
ThreadsPerChild     64
MaxRequestsPerChild 0
ListenBacklog       500
</IfModule>

Tomcat settings (same for the 14 instances):

           acceptCount="100"
      bufferSize="2048"
      compression="off"
      connectionLinger="-1"
      connectionTimeout="60000"
      connectionUploadTimeout="300000"
      debug="0"
      disableUploadTimeout="false"
      enableLookups="false"
      maxKeepAliveRequests="500"
      maxProcessors="1000"
      minProcessors="50"
      address="%IP_ADDRESS%"
      port="%CONNECTOR_PORT%"
      protocolHandlerClassName="org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler"
      proxyPort="0" redirectPort="8443"
      scheme="http"
      secure="false"
      tcpNoDelay="false"
      tomcatAuthentication="true"
      useBodyEncodingForURI="true"
      useURIValidationHack="false">

The max processors is set to 1000, I assumed that would result in
14000 processors for all instances and therefore the 3000 max clients
of apache would be well within it. Is my assumption false adn I need
to allocate 3000 thread per instance instead?

Thanks, Andreas