Jason Bainbridge schrieb:
On 6/8/05, Torsten Römer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Just want to follow up on this.

Originally, the classes under /WEB-INF/classes were in a JAR file, which
I put in /WEB-INF/lib, but like this I always got NoClassDefFoundError.

So I thought there may be something wrong with the JAR file. I then
zipped the classes manually and replaced the JAR file with that. And see
there: No more NoClassDefFoundErrors.

The application JAR is, like the WAR file, created by an Ant task. It
can be opened/extracted without problems, but if I put it in Tomcat, I
always get NoClassDefFoundError. If I zip the classes manually, it works
just fine...

Sounds more like a classloader/classpath problem, NoClassDefFoundError
means it is finding multiple copies of the class.

Doesn't NoClassDefFoundError mean, that the class in question was present at compile time but is now missing at runtime?

Are you setting your system classpath as well by any chance? If you
are then you shouldn't be.

I don't, CLASSPATH is unset. I am pretty sure now, that the problem is the JAR file as created by the Ant task of the project's build.xml. If I just zip the classes manually, and use that instead of the JAR file, everything works just fine.

I will now check the JAR task, update Ant, build on another machine and so on to see if that makes any differences.

Torsten