Mark Leone <midnightjava <at> cox.net> writes:

> BTW, switching gears, I should have mentioned the following in my
> previous email. I suspect that the IE workaround you described will only
> work for SSL connections. Tomcat (and presumably any other good HTTP
> server) will set the cache control headers to prevent caching of any
> response generated from a protected context (i.e. one in which there is
> a <security-constraint> element), whether the connection is made with
> HTTPS (i.e., SSL) or HTTP. The IE option you described seems to apply
> only to encrypted data, so it probably won't help IE users who are
> trying to download files from a protected context via HTTP.

Correction to my previous post: The work-around apparently is not needed for
non-SSL connections. I did a little experiment and found  that IE doesn't have
a problem with non-SSL responses that include headers with the "no-cache" cache
directive.

This alleviates the security concern I raised, since Tomcat can be configured
to prohibit caching from protected contexts for non-SSL connections, and this
behavior only needs to be overriden for SSL connections to satisfy IE, which I
guess is not as problematic from a security standpoint. It's still a
compatibility issue, IMO, since implementers will regularly encounter the
problem with SSL connections and wonder what is going on.

Also, Mary Beth, I was unable to duplicate your results with unchecking
the "don't allow encrypted data to be cached to disk" option. I commented out
the <valve> in server.xml so that IE was not working properly for SSL file
downloads. Then I unchecked the aforementioned option in
IE, and it did not fix the problem. I'm wondering if you're dealing with a
different issue. I'd like to know if you apply the <valve> fix in server.xml,
and if it solves your problem. Did you do anything else to make IE work without
the <valve> in server.xml?

-Mark