-----Original Message-----
From: news [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bill Barker
Posted At: Thursday, June 09, 2005 9:55 PM
Posted To: Tomcat Dev
Conversation: Re: 5.0.28 w/ MX4J 3.0.1, possible?
Subject: Re: 5.0.28 w/ MX4J 3.0.1, possible?

"Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Hello,
>  I have been trying to migrate to the latest version of MX4J (3.0.1)
> from the old 1.1.1 version.
> And for the life of me, I don't seem to be able to get it to work.  I
> use JMX to communicate to various servers in our webapp to show
> session info on different nodes, and I would also like to implement
> some other features..
>
> Old 1.1.1 implementation
> -- jk2.properties -------------------- mx.enabled=true
> mx.jrmpPort=1099
> mx.jrmpHost=localhost
>
> -- Code ------------------------------ Hashtable environment = new
> Hashtable();  environment.put(Context.INITIAL_CONTEXT_FACTORY,
> "com.sun.jndi.rmi.registry.RegistryContextFactory");
>  environment.put(Context.PROVIDER_URL,"rmi://localhost:1099");
>
> JRMPConnector connector = new JMRPConnector();
> connector.connect("jrmp", environment);
>
> RemoteMBeanServer server = connector.getRemoteMBeanServer();
>
> Ok.. So I replaced jmx.jar with the latest version of mx4j.jar
> (renamed to
> jmx.jar) under tomcat_home/bin
> And replaced or added
> Mx4j-jmx.jar
> Mx4j-tools.jar
> Mx4j-remote.jar
> To /tomcat_home/common/lib
>
> Now, when I start tomcat I get the error..
> "MX4j RMI adapter not loaded: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> mx4j.adaptor.rmi.jrmp.JRMPAdaptor "
>
> Which is correct, since that's not a valid class now, but how do I
> configure tomcat to properly use the new mx4j.

Yep. The jrmp adapter is gone.

> If I enable mx.httpPort=9000/mx.httpHost=localhost then JMX does
> enable and I get a pretty little message like...
> "HttpAdapter version 3.0.1 started on port 9000" , but I have no idea
> at this point how to properly use the HTTP connector.
>
> Any info or suggestions to getting the RMI adapter working, or how to
> use the http adapter, or just the best way to go about Using MX4J, not
> sure if either is possible with out updating to tomcat 5.5.x.

The RMI adapter is gone in mx4j 3.x.  There is nothing that Tomat can do
about it.  You can access the http adapter by simply typing
http://localhost:9000 in you favorite browser.  The only thing you gain by
upgrading to 5.5.x is the ability to use the http adapter in XML instead of
HTML.