I have the latest tomcat 5.0 installed on windows server 2003 with java 5. I run startup.bat and call a servlet that hits a jboss instance remotely. Looking through the connection events with TDIMon ( from www.sysinternals.com ) I notice that a process tomcat5.exe sends a UDP datagram on port 137 to the remote server just before creating the TCP connection. Now, what I don't understand is

1. All the other network events are created by the process java.exe. I am not running any tomcat.exe - in fact I have deleted them. There is no tomcat5.exe process in the task manager so what is going on here.

2. this is a very slow. tomcat5.exe makes about three udp datagrams and takes about 2 seconds.

3. I realise that this may be a jboss issue but if anyone can confirm ro deny this I would appreciate this

thanks