Wow...where to begin...to answer in very general terms...

What affects memory usage?

The short answer is everything, and includes the two points you listed
below.

The long answer is it depends...how many concurrent sessions will each
webapp require...what size do you anticipate each session object to be (are
the webapps stuffing extra content into the session objects)...what
sub-services / resources are required for each webapp (jdbc, etc.), or are
these webapps just delivering simple html content...how is session
persistence configured...what is the session timeout value set to at the
container and/or for each web-app...if there is a HA requirement, then that
must be taking into account if clustering is being considered...and the list
goes on...

You really need to understand each of the webapps anticipated memory
footprint (in terms of concurrency, jdbc connectivity, etc.) to adequately
answer this question...better to take the time upfront rather than having a
client call up complaining about an http-500 (OOM) error...

The fact is that the garbage collection algorithms in recent JVM versions do
a good job of reclaiming memory, as long as your apps are well-behaved.

In summary, IMHO 64mb seems a bit low as a default...with the price of
memory I'd push everything up by a factor or two, especially if the server
(providing the tomcat service) sole purpose in life is running a single
instance of tomcat; of course, it would seem that you need to get agreement
from your service provider too :)

HTH

Rob