It turns out that it was an issue with load balancing.  The client had decided
that they wanted to
setup their own OS-level load balancing, so I had disabled it in Apache/Tomcat
setup.  Apparently,
when they applied the patches to the servers, this must have affected their
load balancing.  When
I restored the Apache/Tomcat load balancing, all was fine.

Thank you for everyone's suggestions on this!

John