Another thought that just occurred to me is that the problem could be
my use of the mod_jk2 connector. Could this be it?

I'd like to use the mod_jk connector, since jk2 is deprecated, but I
haven't been able to make it work. I wish I could find some
instructions for setting up mod_jk that are as clear and concise as
these for mod_jk2: http://mpcon.org/apacheguide/#jsp

Any suggestions?