Rainer Jung wrote:
Take a look at

./org/apache/catalina/util/ServerInfo.properties

in CATALINA_HOME/server/lib/catalina.jar.

It contains:

server.info=Apache Tomcat/5.5.10
server.number=5.5.10.0

You can put different values in there and deploy the new properties file in

CATALINA_HOME/server/classes/org/apache/catalina/util/ServerInfo.properties

Do you mean that I can leave catalina.jar where it is, make
a skeleton of folders in server/classes with just my new
ServerInfo.properties, and the properties in server/classes/...
will override those in the jar?

Or must I unpack catalina.jar into server/classes and then
delete it from server/lib before altering the properties?

Are all references to Tomcat's description and version
number derived from these properties, and is this new in
5.5.10 (we use 5.5.9 in production)?

cheers

Paul Singleton