> Please note the following for the path attribute in
> the Tomcat 5.5 doc for <Context>:
>
> "The value of this field must not be set except when
> statically defining a Context in server.xml, as it
> will be infered [sic] from the filenames
> used for either the .xml context file or the
> docBase."
>
> Also, examine the
> $CATALINA_HOME/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/
> directory (usually conf/Catalina/localhost/), and
> remove any .xml files that might have been
> automatically created previously for your
application
> and restart Tomcat.

Thanks for pointing this out.  I have made the changes
and still I have the problem of my application failing
to start.

However it looks like this is not a problem with
Tomcat but instead a problem with Spring.  My
application is a Spring MVC application, and I am
trying to get the MySQL DBCP DataSource via JNDI.  It
appears that this is where the problem lies, since I
can remove this part of the Spring configuration and
the application starts fine when Tomcat is started.
Also I can run the test JSP and access the MySQL DBCP
DataSource with no errors.  So it seems that I have
the correct MySQL DBCP configuration, just not the
right Spring configuration for accessing it via JNDI.

Thanks again for your help with this.

--James