Paul, I think it's probably because there are other ports (i.e the Tomcat Admin Port that might be on 8005 and the AJP Port that may be on 8009) in use that are common to both of your instances.

Brian

Paul Wallace wrote:

Hello,
        I am trying to achieve not the unimaginable, I thought - to have one
instance of Tomcat (5.5) running on port 80, and one - also 5.5 (using the
same JAVA_HOME) running on port 8080 on the same box (Win XP). They both
start up independently and load on localhost / localhost:8080 just fine. But
when one is started, the other will not start up and logs the below message.
The one is started as a service, the other a .bat:

set CATALINA_HOME=jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9
call %CATALINA_HOME%/bin/startup.bat

I thought it may be a conflict of CATALINA_HOME, but as one is installed as
a service, I see no reference to the variable in the registry.

Any thoughts please?
Thanks

Paul.
java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(PlainSocketImpl.java:359)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(ServerSocket.java:319)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:185)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.await(StandardServer.java:346)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.await(Catalina.java:600)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:560)
        at
)
        at
.java:25)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:271)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:409)