> From: Oleg [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Calculating required memory
>
> Would I be correct to estimate that Tomcat will atleast need
>
> n(number of users/applications) * mb(total size of shared/lib)

In a word, no - disk space occupied by class files has no correlation
with memory consumed by a running application.  Class files are
primarily composed of the constant pool and byte codes, whereas the vast
majority of memory used by most Java applications is taken up by
dynamically created objects, which is highly dependent on application
logic.

You really can't estimate memory use with any degree of confidence
without actually running your application, using various loads and
forcing garbage collections to occur.  Given the low price and ready
availability of memory these days, this really shouldn't be much of a
concern.  Of course, it would be possible for some monstrous app to
exhaust the per-process virtual space provided by your OS...

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.