Hi,

Yes, the default ROOT.war does appear to work in the way I have been trying to
deploy my own ROOT.war, you're right there.

Nevertheless I will hold that there are a lot of potential differences between
the empty default ROOT and an 18MB struts/spring/hibernate etc... real-world
web application so I am not convinced just yet that it's my web application
packaging (especially with the valid tests I have shown by manual unpack).

I will see if I can pursue the reason and come back to you.

Kindest regards, Allistair.