I had a similar problem, I wouldn't go so far as to say I have a
solution, but fiddling with the <tomcat>/conf/web.xml file to have the
following in its "jsp" section seemed to help a bit (currently used for
our demo level systems):

    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>jsp</servlet-name>
<servlet-class>org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet</servlet-class>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>fork</param-name>
            <param-value>false</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>development</param-name>
            <param-value>false</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>reloading</param-name>
            <param-value>true</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>checkInterval</param-name>
            <param-value>120</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>xpoweredBy</param-name>
            <param-value>false</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <load-on-startup>3</load-on-startup>
    </servlet>

Although to be honest I suspect that the best solution for production
boxes is to pre-compile all jsps into the war file anyway.

Mark