I'm trying to get the Tomcat manager app to unpack war files when I
install them. (using "Deploy directory or WAR file located on server")
The only setting I found that is supposed to control this is unpackWARs,
so I have this in my server.xml:

      <Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps"
       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"

Nothing I tried caused the war to get unpacked, until I happened to install
a war file that was writable by everyone, instead of just the owner and
group.  WTF?  Is it supposed to do that?  Why doesn't it unpack it when
the permissions are more restrictive?

eric