Ultimately, after a build, it's just a "war" file, so that's not really an issue for me.

Tim Funk wrote:
Personally - I prefer jar files. Its one file to keep track of. Instead of 100's of .class files. When you start building up your library - you start to get a large directory of WEB-INF/classes. It much easier to manage them as jar files.

-Tim

Mott Leroy wrote:

This probably sounds like a very newbie question, but for your own application classes, (not third party), is there any particular reason to "jar" them and put them into "WEB-INF/lib" vs compiling them as class files to "WEB-INF/classes"? The classloader won't blindly just load the whole jar will it? For an applet, using Jars makes some sense to avoid continually downloading class files, what are the advantages for web applications?