I was trying to include a bit of common Java code using the include
directive. But it appears to not be working as I would expect. A few places
I checked include:
  http://java.sun.com/j2ee/tutorial/1_3-fcs/doc/JSPIntro8.html

The gist is that the included file should be inserted inline to the JSP at
translation time (from JSP to .java before being compiled).

But what I am seeing in the generated Java code is that the actual code is
not included/translated inline. Instead vector of includes is built  like
the following:

  static {
    _jspx_includes = new java.util.Vector(9);
    _jspx_includes.add("/header.jsp");
    _jspx_includes.add("/authentication.jsp");
    _jspx_includes.add("/sessionCheck.jsp");
    _jspx_includes.add("/accessCheck.jsp");
    _jspx_includes.add("/header_banner.jsp");
    _jspx_includes.add("/client_admin_menu.jsp");
    _jspx_includes.add("/include_add_update_member_1.jsp");
    _jspx_includes.add("/include_add_update_member_2.jsp");
    _jspx_includes.add("/footer.jsp");
  }

Here is the error I am getting:

An error occurred at line: 48 in the jsp file: /client_admin_add_member.jsp

Generated servlet error:
    [javac] Compiling 1 source file

/var/tomcat-dev/work/Standalone/firedrumtestaccount.com/_/client_admin_add_m
ember_jsp.java:702: cannot find symbol
symbol  : variable fieldNames
location: class org.apache.jsp.client_admin_add_member_jsp
                        fieldNames = new String[cftdl.getList().size()];
                        ^

Below is the relevant piece of the JSP. Can anyone explain this ?

Thanks - Richard

<%@ include file="header.jsp" %>
<%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/strtaglib.tld" prefix="str" %>
<%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/filetaglib.tld" prefix="file" %>