Unless there is another reason, why not drop Apache and run only Tomcat? It can handle the virtual hosts just fine.

This would simplify the setup considerably.

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: ""rueh hänä"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 6:58 AM
Subject: Got trouble with virtual hosts

Hi there

I dont know, what term to search for.. so excuse me, if there is already a
similar problem

I'm running a Webserver on Fedora Core 4

- Apache 2.0.54
- tomcat5-5.0.30-5jpp_6fc

I want to run about 13 Websites (html and jsp) over one virtual host. So i
defined NameVirtualHost 192.168.0.170 in httpd.conf. After this entry i
added the websites. For example:

<VirtualHost 192.168.0.170:80>
 ServerName www.website.ch
 DocumentRoot /drbd/www/html/www.website.ch
 JKMount /*.jsp tomcat-worker1
 JKMount /*/servlet/ tomcat-worker1
 JkOptions +ForwardKeySize +ForwardURICompat -ForwardDirectories
 DirectoryIndex index.jsp index.html index.php index.htm index.shtml
index.cgi
 <Location "/WEB-INF/">
  AllowOverride None
  deny from all
 </Location>
 <Location "/META-INF/">
  AllowOverride None
  deny from all
 </Location>
</VirtualHost>

The server.xml entry for this site is:
<Host name="www.k-exp.ch" debug="0" appBase="/drbd/www/html/www.website.ch"
unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">
              directory="/var/log/tomcat5/"
              prefix="www.kexp.ch-access."
              suffix=".log"
              resolveHosts="true"
              pattern="combined"/>
               directory="/var/log/tomcat5/"  prefix="www.kexp.ch_log."
suffix=".txt"
               timestamp="false"/>

       <Context path="" docBase="" debug="0"/>

       <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.MemoryRealm"
              pathname="/drbd/www/html/www.k-exp.ch/WEB-INF/users.xml"/>
     </Host>

I'm replacing the actually active server with a new one. I overtook the
config-files from the active server, so they should work. The only change is
that thing with the virtual hosts. In the old config, all sites had their
own virtualhost setting (=> several virtual network interfaces). It would be
much more simple, when i only had one virtual host.
But, if i want to access a jsp website, i get an internal server error
mesage.
HTML-Sites work properly.

It seems, that tomcat cant translate the hostnames defined in httpd.conf.
Can only apache do this? Or do i have to do some additional changes to my
configs?

Any idea? Thanks for help beforehand!