I have a method call I think probably does what you want

   public static Connection getPooledConection(String JNDIName) {

        Connection con = null;

        DataSource ds = null;

       try {

        Context initCtx = new InitialContext();

        ds = (DataSource) envCtx.lookup("jdbc/"+JNDIName);

        con = ds.getConnection();
      }
      catch(Exception e){
        System.out.println(new java.util.Date()+" Blah Blah Blah\n"+
            "Conection was forced closed!\n"+
            "JNDIName : "+JNDIName+"\n"+e+"\n"+e.getMessage()+"\n\n"+
            e.printStackTrace()  );

        try {  con.close();   } catch(Exception d) {  }
      }                             // Close exception catch
        return con;
    }                               // Close method

Scott Purcell wrote:
Hello,

I want to say thanks for the links yesterday in regards to my pooling problem.
After reading the docs, I have a better handle on how this will work.
I am ready to test, and I was able to get the following to work within a JSP
page.

But I would really like to create a Singleton class that could hand out connections based upon
something like: singleton.getHandle("jndiname"); So in my business object I can hand in a
"name" and let the busines object get the connection, etc.

Does that make sense. Only problem is, I cannot figure out how to transfer the
JSP snippet below, to physical java code.

Anyone know?

Thanks,
Scott

####### JSP that works correctly ... would like to do this in a class #######

<%@ taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/sql"; prefix="sql" %>
<%@ taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core"; prefix="c" %>

<sql:query var="rs" dataSource="jdbc/TestDB">
select id, foo, bar from testdata
</sql:query>

  <head>
    <title>DB Test</title>
  </head>

  <h2>Results</h2>
<c:forEach var="row" items="${rs.rows}">
    Foo ${row.foo}<br/>
    Bar ${row.bar}<br/>
</c:forEach>

Brian Cook