Edmon

This is a personal suggestion of mine and not the definitive answer.  I create
a seperate war file for maintenance times.  All it contains in an index html
page and an image of the web site (brand is still important when a site is
down).  I replace the temp war with the live one.  This means I can work on
the live war and then redeploy it on top of the "maintenance" one.

Users are informed and you get the work done.  A win win situation.

There are probably other ways of doing this but this one works for me.

Hope this helps.
Jason
--
Jason Bell