On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 08:47 -0400, Larry Isaacs wrote:
> I have seen instances of a HashMap whose entries got circularly
> linked, I assume, due to updates which where not thread safe.
> Any thread using a get() on such a HashMap will spin forever
> chasing its tail.
>
> Cheers,
> Larry

Could be possible since we also have increasing load (until idle time
goes to zero) on those machines.... but...
we are putting only pretty simple objects like Locale or an userId
object.
If I understand you correctly your scenario is:
HashMap Entry has a linked list of X entries at one position
and entry[Y] is poiting to the first entry instead of next or null?
But how can that happen? a JVM / Core Api bug?

public abstract class UserId  implements Serializable{

        public abstract String getPlainPresentation();

        public boolean equals(Object anotherObject){
                return anotherObject instanceof UserId ?

((UserId)anotherObject).getPlainPresentation().equals(getPlainPresentation()):
                        false;
        }

        public abstract String[] getFragmentation(int fragementationDepth, int
fragmentLength);

        public String toString(){
                return getPlainPresentation();
        }
}

public class LongUserId extends UserId implements Serializable{

        private long value;
        private transient String cachedStringPresentation;

        private static final long serialVersionUID = 451670268366493765L;

        public LongUserId(long aValue){
                this.value = aValue;
        }

        public int hashCode(){
                return (int)value;
        }

        public boolean equals(Object o){
                return (o instanceof LongUserId) ?
                        ((LongUserId)o).value == value : false;
        }

        public String[] getFragmentation(int fragmentationDepth, int
fragmentLength) {
                String s = getPlainPresentation();
                //first ensure our string is long enough.
                while (s.length()<fragmentationDepth*fragmentLength)
                        s = "0"+s;

                int singleLength = fragmentLength;
                String ret[] = new String[fragmentationDepth];
                for (int i=0; i<fragmentationDepth; i++){
                        String fragment = s.substring(i*singleLength,
i*singleLength
+singleLength);
                        ret[i] = fragment;
                }