--- David Wall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > 1) We have only a moderately busy site with about
> 500 new visitors
> > entering from outside every day, so it would have
> thought it would be
> > fairly difficult for them to use up all the 75
> connections at the same
> > time, but I do have some programmes that create
> their own threads,
> > though in a fairly limited way. In your expert
> view are 75 jk2
> > connections sufficient for this kind of moderate
> use, or is it likely
> > I've some kind of problem I've got to get to the
> bottom of?
> > I've been through my recent new applications, and
> there really is
> > nothing that could have created this problem
> recently.
>

> It sure sounds like something is not releasing the
> threads.  In low
> volume sites, having 75 concurrent requests would be
> high.  It sounds
> like they are not being properly released when done.
>

> > 2) I've set connectionTimeout=20000, which seems
> to be what everybody
> > else was setting it to, can I reduce this without
> any problem? It
> > seems quite long, 20 seconds, why hang on to
> connections for so long,
> > or is there a lot of overhead in creating them?
>
> I believe this value is how long Tomcat will wait to
> receive the actual
> HTTP requests after it establishes the connection.
> So 20 seconds is
> more than adequate.  Making it too low may cause
> people are slower dial
> up or the like to get problems.
>

> > 3) If I want to, can I increase my max connections
> to 125 without any
> > qualms? - This would appear to be the simplest
> solution here.
>

> That would certainly work, but if you are running
> out because threads
> are not being released, it just means you'll run out
> later than before.
>
> Good luck,
> David

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> For additional commands, e-mail:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dump a stack trace of the JVM and see where it is
locked up in the different threads.  If you are able
to run a 1.5 VM this would be much easier as you could
use jps and jstack to dump all of this externally for
your running tomcat process.  Anyways, get a stack
trace for all of your threads, and you can get a
better idea of what is going on.

Wade