Peter Flynn wrote:

If you have a tomcat webapp that serves jsp's such as http://localhost:8080/mywebapp, then you can map jsp requests to that webapp using JkMount /mywebapp/*.jsp

Ah...this exposes the gap in my understanding.
Where do I get a "tomcat webapp that serves jsp's"? This is what I need. I thought one was built into Tomcat -- in fact I
thought JSP serving was the original purpose of Tomcat.

If Tomcat doesn't have any such webapp, where do I get one?
I certainly can't write one, as I'm not a Java programmer.

I am limited in my knowledge of tomcat but from my understanding, tomcat can be ran either as a standalone server or behind a webserver. In your case, it seems like you don't actually need a webserver in front so you should be able to connect to tomcat using the url:

http://localhost:8080/

Just make sure in your server.xml that you have this line:

<Connector port="8080" />

or whatever port you want to connect to. In fact, I don't think you even need mod_jk if you are using tomcat as a standalone.

Hope that helps.