Thanks Bill - that did it! Bill Barker writes:

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Hi there,
I would like to set up my development tomcat-5.0.28 (on port 8080) so that all webapps that are not password protected, to have password authentification. Since it is my dev box I would like to use the memory realm.
I have this in my web.xml:
<security-constraint>
<web-resource-collection>
<url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
<http-method>GET</http-method>
<http-method>POST</http-method>
</web-resource-collection>
<auth-constraint role-name="admin"/>

It's:
  <auth-constraint>
      <role-name>admin</role-name>
</auth-constraint> What you have (other than being invalid, if validation-checking was enabled :), tells Tomcat to forbid access to everyone.
<user-data-constraint>
<transport-guarantee>NONE</transport-guarantee>
</user-data-constraint>
</security-constraint>
<login-config>
<auth-method>BASIC</auth-method>
</login-config>
I have this in my tomcat-users.xml:
<tomcat-users>
<role rolename="tomcat"/>
<role rolename="role1"/>
<role rolename="manager"/>
<role rolename="admin"/>
<user username="mylogin" password="mypassword" roles="admin,manager,role1"/>
</tomcat-users>
If I go to http://localhost:8080/manager it asks me to login and then gives me access to the webapp as expected. If I go to http://localhost:8080/ it asks me to login and if I get it wrong is gives me a 401 error as expected but if I get it right it gives me a 403 error instead of allowing access to the webapp. This happens with all webapps that do not have their own authentication. How do I configure tomcat to give me access to my webapps when I login correctly?
Thanks,
Paul
--
Paul Mackinlay (PhD, MEng)