--- Michael Sullivan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Right now I use symlinks
> to my individual
> users' website directories, but now that I've
> discovered Alias I'll
> probably switch completely to using Aliases.

Good.
> created a test Alias
> point to the ~/webspace/webapps directory in my
> personal account, but I
> can't seem to JkMount it, and I can't figure out
> why.  Here is the
> mod_jk portion of my httpd.conf file:
>
> #mod_jk stuff
>
> LoadModule jk_module
> modules/mod_jk.so
>
> JkMount /*.jsp wrkr

I think your JSP JkMount line will only get
<hostname>/*.jsp.  It won't match <hostname>/*/*.jsp.
I think you'll need another line in there that says:

JkMount /*/*.jsp wrkr

> JkMount /servlet/* wrkr

You will probably have the same issue with the servlet
matching.  Try this instead:

JkMount /*/servlet/* wrkr

Good idea here.

> # Deny direct access to WEB-INF
> <LocationMatch ".*WEB-INF.*">
>    AllowOverride None
>    deny from all
> </LocationMatch>

Good start.

> Alias /michael /home/michael/webspace/webapps

I would probably change some of the Directory
directives.  Since this lives outside your normal
DocumentRoot, this Directory is not going to inherit
the permissions you gave to DocumentRoot.

Something like the following might work better:

<Directory /home/michael/webspace/webapps>
  Options Indexes
  Allow Override None
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
</Directory>

> <Directory /home/michael/webspace/webapps>
>     Options FollowSymLinks
>     AllowOverride None
> </Directory>

I tend to put the Directory and Aliases before the
JkMount statement, if I do that, then I can do the
following:

Alias /michael /home/michael/webspace/webapps
<Directory /home/michael/webspace/webapps>
  Options Indexes
  Allow Override None
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
</Directory>

JkMount /michael/*.jsp wrkr
JkMount /michael/*/*.jsp wrkr
JkMount /michael/*/servlet/* wrkr

Finally, make sure the user Tomcat is running as has
read access to everything in
/home/michael/webspace/webapps.

If there are a lot of applications, you can group all
the <Directory> directives, followed by all the Alias
directives, followed by all the JkMount statements.

Another way to organize your httpd.conf file is by
application.  In other words, for each application:

<Directory>
  # directory directives
</Directory>
Alias /<desired_mapping> /<directory_napping>
JkMount /<desired_mapping>/*.jsp <tomcat-worker>
JkMount /<desired_mapping>/servlet/* <tomcat-worker>

I'm away from my system right now, but I think either
of these methods should work fine.

The ugly thing about doing it this way is that every
time you add a new user, you'll have to update Apache,
which means you'll have to stop and start the server.

If you could get the user directory idea to work, then
everything would just "happen".

HTH

/mde/