I am trying to set up a webdav application on a machine running Tomcat 5.5.

The effect I want to create is that anyone can use
to read files, but only those who have logged on should be able to use webdav
to create, update or delete files from the folder.

I tried to do this by copying the web.xml file from the webdav WEB-INF folder
into the <app>/WEB-INF directory, and also creating a Context file in
conf/Catalina/localhost/><app>.xml as I want to authenticate those who are
having to log on against a database (using JDBCRealm).

But having set all this up I have obviously got something messed up as in
catalina.out it complains about a NullPointerException, and says the problem
happened while processing the default web.xml, at line 5 row 56.  Now I take
it that this is actually NOT refering to the default web.xml in the conf
directory, as it is only this application that is hit (the others including
the webdav one initialise correctly).  I assume it is actually refering to
the one for this webapp.  But what is odd is that line 5 is in the middle
of a comment, which my xml editor says is quite correctly formed.

It is a shame that when putting out such messages the real file name
that it is processing is not included, and the line of text it is parsing is
not included.

The other thing that is odd is that the call stack trace suggests that it is
not the web.xml file it is processing, but rather then context file.  I
assume this out because it talks about functions called:-

org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.processContextConfig(ContextConfig.java:778)
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.contextConfig(ContextConfig.java:718)
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.init(ContextConfig.java:974)

If it is my context file, that does have something to parse at line 5, and it
reads:-

<Context>
  <Realm classname="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm" debug="99"
driverName="org.postgresql.Driver"
         connectionURL="jdbc:postgresql:authority" connectionName="david"
connectionPassword=""
         userTable="users" userNameCol="user_name" userCredCol="user_pass"
         userRoleTable="roles" roleNameCol="role_name">
    </Realm>
  </Context>

and for the life of me I can not see what is wrong with line 5 of that -
although that is the last line so perhaps it is just an error somewhere in the
Realm tag.  The Postgresql driver is in common/lib, the db exists and has
those tables and columns in them.

Any ideas?

David