Thanks for the reply,

I got it running, but I don't understand it, maybe you can help me:

Giving following permission to my tomcat (5.5.9)
        grant {
           permission javax.management.MBeanPermission "*", "*";
           permission java.lang.management.ManagementPermission "monitor";
           permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.class.path", "read";
           permission java.util.PropertyPermission "java.library.path", "read";
           permission java.net.SocketPermission "intranet-lx1", "resolve";
        };
and I can monitor my tomcat with jconsole. But this means I give the above
permissions to all jars & webapps on my tomcat. So guessed, giving these
permissions only to $JAVA_HOME jars (lib, lib/ext) and tomcat jars
(common,server,bin) should have the same result - but no I got a security
excpetion:

access: access denied (javax.management.MBeanPermission
sun.management.RuntimeImpl#-[java.lang:type=Runtime] isInstanceOf)
java.lang.Exception: Stack trace
        at java.lang.Thread.dumpStack(Thread.java:1158)
        at
java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.java:253)
        at
java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(AccessController.java:427)
        at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(SecurityManager.java:532)
        at
com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.checkMBeanPermission(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:1707)
        at
com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.isInstanceOf(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:1328)
        at
com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.JmxMBeanServer.isInstanceOf(JmxMBeanServer.java:1074)
        at
com.sun.jmx.remote.security.MBeanServerAccessController.isInstanceOf(MBeanServerAccessController.java:439)
        at
javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.doOperation(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1414)
        at
javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.access$100(RMIConnectionImpl.java:81)
        at
javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl$PrivilegedOperation.run(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1245)
        at
javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.doPrivilegedOperation(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1348)

And now I was surprised - all the packaeges in the stack trace (above
doPrivileged) are contained in rt.jar, which do have AllPermission (and
additional permissions described above - for the paranoid)!!

Why can the above access denied exception occur??
This excpetion is also thrown, when no webapp is deployed - this means that
only $JAVA_HOME & tomcat core jars are found and loaded and all of these jars
does have AllPermission?!

I'm confused,
Gernot