Hi,

all classes of a webapp which do not come from tomcat server itself
do share a common classloader which is an aggregation of the various
classes in all WEB-INF/lib/*.jar and in WEB-INF/classes/**/*.class

If you get a NoClassDefFoundException, that probably mean you asked some
class in server classloader to load some other class (probably by
reflection) which
is located in WEB-INF/lib.  That simply impossible to do because
classloaders use
a child to parent classloading delegation model, not a parent (server)
to child (webapp).

Regards
David Delbecq