But as soon as I put log4j-1.2.9.jar into my WEB-INF/lib directory, it doesn't work any more. I get the following exception:

 [jasper2] java.lang.NullPointerException
[jasper2] at org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.createCompiler(JspCompilationContext.java:220)

After building a version of Tomcat which logs the exception that happens when trying to create the compiler (by default it's caught without logging), I was able to figure out how to fix it.

Apparently, when log4j-1.2.9.jar is in WEB-INF/lib, it also needs to be in the ant/lib directory (or somewhere else in the Ant classpath). If it isn't there, a ClassNotFound exception will be thrown when trying to create the compiler (either Ant or JDT), but this exception is caught without logging and later the NullPointer exception happens.

As a side effect, I discovered that the same goes for jasper-compiler-jdt.jar. The JDT compiler will not be used unless it's in the Ant classpath.