What happens if you deploy using the Tomcat manager application? Same error or doesn't occur then? This may help zero in on the problem.

Glen

Allistair Crossley wrote:
Hi List,
Honestly, I wish Tomcat web application deployment would be easier/smarter. To pre-empt certain list members from telling me it's my fault, I can assure you my WAR itself is totally 100% no doubts valid. Perhaps it is my method of deploying that is causing the issue, I don't know. I am attempting to use the Tomcat Client Deployer (the Ant script that comes with deployer). I use it to compile the WAR and now want to deploy it to a waiting Tomcat. I ensured my Tomcat webapps folder was wiped and the conf/Catalina/localhost had no context configuration files. My WAR contains a META-INF/context.xml for deploying the context configuration. After I compile my WAR with Deployer, I call C:\apache-tomcat-5.5.12-deployer>ant -Dserver=intratest deploy
Buildfile: build.xml
deploy:
   [deploy] OK - Deployed application at context path /ROOT
So it's deployed OK. I wait 5 minutes and then put a request into Tomcat. 404. Why? Because it failed to start the context which in a nutshell is all I ever get when deploying from WARs. My WAR has been exploded fully which is at least something. The logs reveal: 2005-10-07 16:18:29,882 - WARN (org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig:597) - A docBase D:\jakarta-tomcat\webapps\ROOT inside the host appBase has been specified, and will be ignored
2005-10-07 16:18:30,163 - ERROR (org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext:3796)
- Error starting static Resources
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base
D:\jakarta-tomcat\webapps\ROOT does not exist or is not a readable directory
 at
org.apache.naming.resources.FileDirContext.setDocBase(FileDirContext.java:140)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.resourcesStart(StandardContext.java:3777)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:3948)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:759)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:739)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:524)
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor(HostConfig.java:603)
 at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptors(HostConfig.java:535)
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:470)
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1118)
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:310)
 at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1020)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:718)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1012)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:442)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:450)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:680)
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:536)
 at
 at
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:275)
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:413)
2005-10-07 16:18:30,163 - ERROR (org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext:3949)
- Error in resourceStart()
2005-10-07 16:18:30,195 - ERROR (org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext:4100)
- Error getConfigured
2005-10-07 16:18:30,195 - ERROR (org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext:4153)
- Context [] startup failed due to previous errors
2005-10-07 16:18:30,195 -  INFO (org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext:4250)
- Container org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/]
has not been started
It is not clear if this exception is thrown at the time when the WAR has not been exploded and of course ROOT will not exist. My META-INF/context.xml has
<Context docBase="/ROOT" reloadable="true" antiJARLocking="true" antiResourceLocking="true"
swallowOutput="true">

Does nobody else have issues with using the Deployer? Is it just me having all this bad luck? Honestly I am at my wits end with this deployment. I am fed up with manually having to deploy files to our Tomcat servers, exploding them myself and then restarting Tomcat.
When will Deployer actually work?

Kindest, frustrated, Allistair.

<FONT SIZE=1 FACE="VERDANA,ARIAL" COLOR=BLUE> -------------------------------------------------------
QAS Ltd.
Registered in England: No 2582055
Registered in Australia: No 082 851 474
</FONT> <FONT SIZE=1 FACE="VERDANA,ARIAL" COLOR=BLACK> Disclaimer: The information contained within this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged. This email is intended solely for the named recipient only; if you are not authorised you must not disclose, copy, distribute, or retain this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error please contact the sender at once so that we may take the appropriate action and avoid troubling you further. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender. QAS Limited has the right lawfully to record, monitor and inspect messages between its employees and any third party. Your messages shall be subject to such lawful supervision as QAS Limited deems to be necessary in order to protect its information, its interests and its reputation.
Whilst all efforts are made to safeguard Inbound and Outbound emails, QAS
Limited cannot guarantee that attachments are virus free or compatible with
your systems and does not accept any liability in respect of viruses or
computer problems experienced.
</FONT>